Throwback Thursday – School Sports & Activities
This week Maggie asks us some questions about our school days concerning things we did as sports and extra curricular activities. Thanks, Maggie! 🙂 https://fromcavewalls.wordpress.com/2022/03/10/throwback-thursday-29-sports-and-extracurricular-activities/
- Did you belong to any clubs? When I was little I was a Brownie and then a Girl Scout. I played field hockey for a couple years in college. I remember I did make-up for the drama production of Man of La Mancha in high school. That is all I really remember. It is one thing I wish I had done more of.
- Did you stay after school for activities? If so, how did you get home? I remember staying for different things. When I was too young to get a ride from a friend my mom usually came to get me. Once in a while I remember getting rides home from other parents but mostly I remember my mom picking me up.
- We’re you involved in sports? If so, which ones? Were you good at them, mediocre, or at least trying? I was awful at sports. I played field hockey for two or three years. I stopped when I was the only senior that didn’t make varsity, when there were freshman who did. I ran track a couple of seasons. I was not good at that either. I’m not fast. I was typically able to do distance but never did the cross-country track because they did such long runs, it made me too scared to try. I loved dancing. I took Jazz and Ballet. I don’t know why I ever stopped. That is a big regret I have.
- What was your favorite school related sports or physical activity? I always wanted to try cheerleading but wasn’t very good at cartwheels…obviously that is what I thought would be the decider. In high school I started taking aerobics at this one new place. That I loved and used to go almost every day. I think I stopped going because the classes started getting really popular and busy and it wasn’t as fun being packed in.
- Did you hold any leadership roles in school? I don’t think I ever did. Looking back I don’t think I had the confidence to do that.
- Did you play football, basketball, or some other sport or were you a cheerleader? I tried them all, well many of them. I tried basketball, track (long jump, high jump, 500m), soccer, and field hockey. I wasn’t good at any. I was too timid and slow.
- Did you travel after school, on weekends, or in the summer for any activities? Where did you go? I didn’t do that much during the school year but for about four or five years I went to summer camp up in Maine. I remember loving it and making some really good friends. I remember learning to swim, learning to sail, canoeing, hiking, tons of things…I remember sleeping in the cabins, trying to decide if the upper or lower bunk would be best.
- Did you receive letters, awards, or certificates for your involvement? Any of the awards or anything I got were related to academics.
- Did you belong to any organizations that were not associated or sponsored by your school? Dance, jazz and ballet.
- Were you on any school committees such as yearbook, prom committee, etc.? I don’t really remember. I remember doing some stuff and I can sort of remember being part of some club but I honestly can’t recall!