1. If you have been given a variety of gifts, do you have a clear out of older stuff to make room for it? Usually if I get new gifts they are to supplement things I already have and use. There are times in the past where I have had to move old things out to make room for the new just because I don’t have the room!
2. Do you overindulge with food for special occasions and then come to regret it with either weight gain, guilt or severe indigestion? This year has been the worst for overindulgence. I made many batches of Christmas cookies this year and of course cheesecake for dessert! I have to do a serious sugar-detox soon. I guess I sort of regret it but sort of think, “oh well, that’s life”
3. What is your favourite part for any celebration? Sitting with people and talking
4. Are you looking forward to getting bargains in the January Sales? Not this year. I have everything I could ask for and more and do NOT need anything else!
Gratitude: I’m grateful that even when I am feeling down I still realize how lucky I am to have all that is mine!
1. How organized are you in either your working or private life? I am typically super organized, at least in my own head. I usually know where I have put things and can recall that really well. I forget stuff but then can think and sort of visualize where I put it and I’m usually right. I do like all “like” things together so I like to reorganize when my life gets cluttered.
2. Do you remember family birthdays or anniversaries and send cards? I remember a few birthdays, unfortunately, I usually remember on the day and have not said anything to the person. I don’t send cards, except to maybe one or two people. I think the price of cards is ridiculous and people don’t like them like they used to it seems. Sometimes I find a funny one and send it out. Everyone likes getting mail but what do you do with the card after you are done celebrating? Seems harsh to just throw it away.
3. If you see something in a shop that is an extravagance but you can afford it, do you buy it? It depends on whether I think I can find it cheaper somewhere else. There have been times that I have been in a store and I am there googling Amazon and other sites trying to see if they sell it for less.
4. Are you looking forward to the New Year? I suppose. It’s just another day for me though. I don’t set resolutions because they peter out or don’t work at all. I do like to think about the first of the year as the day I will try to make certain changes.
Gratitude: What simple thing warms your heart? Lately, when I put Brody outside he goes running around and all that and then when he is ready to come in he looks in the screen door for me. He is much lower so all I see is his eyes and ears and he melts my heart with his little look. Funny, but him being slightly pigeoned-toed makes me feel warm and fuzzy.Finding gifts, especially from my kids when they were little, melts my heart too. To see the love that was put into it. Finally, just because I could go on and on, but certain memories of my late husband and son and a few specific instances in the past stand out to me. Not big events, just small gestures that I remember so well that were so thoughtful.
Welcome to Share your World which Di is going to continue to host in Melanie’s memory as Di knows how much pleasure she got from writing these posts. She was very popular and very sadly missed.
Here are my questions for this week:
1. As a child, did you prefer to watch TV, play games outside on a nice day, or read? We were always outside or playing somewhere. I don’t even really remember having a television until later, although I know we did have a black and white one. We used to ride bikes, make paths in the woods, and play on jungle gyms/tire swings…We also used to play “restaurant” and set up the basement like a restaurant. I remember one year we sat and colored hundreds of the white “s” shaped packing peanuts and made them into different foods. I remember one was shrimp! At one of our friends we used to play store and take out all the canned foods and boxed foods and make a store. Her parents probably loved trying to find stuff after we played that! 😅
2. What would you rather do now, read a book, watch a movie at home, dine out with friends, or go down the pub? If those were my only options I would probably read a book. Next I would watch some television show that is completely ridiculous like “90-Day Fiance”. I like going out but don’t like having to actually get in the car and go somewhere.
3. Are you fashion conscious? Nope. I know there are things I shouldn’t wear and for the most part know how to dress appropriately if it is necessary but I like my clothes and I feel like my own person when I wear what makes me happy!
4. Do you wear slippers, clogs or go barefoot indoors? I almost always have socks on. Sometimes bare feet depending on the time of day. Before and after bed I have bare feet.
I am so thankful for having a roof over my head and food in my belly,.
1. When you go food shopping, do you go with a list or amble down the aisles putting things in your basket or cart that you fancy or think you need? I am happier when I have a list and can get in and out. I also like when I wander and see something that perhaps I haven’t made in a long time and grab that. Usually, I buy more than we need and not what we should be buying. It is so hard because produce is so expensive and spoils so fast. But if I buy just enough for one meal I am shopping more frequently, subsequently buying way more than I would or should have. It’s sort of a lose-lose. I wish there were more fresh markets around!
2. When the temperatures drop for the colder months, is there a specific date you put the heating on or do you flick the switch when you start to feel cold? Now in the south I don’t have the same problem but when I was in Connecticut I tried my hardest not to turn on any heat until at least November 1st. That didn’t always work. If the temperature in the house goes below 67 F I think it is getting too chilly for indoors.
3. Keeping with the cold theme, do you prefer a hot water bottle or an electric blanket at night? I never understood about the hot water bottle and my mother always said that electric blankets were too dangerous.
4. How do you feel about log burners? Do you think they are messy or cosy? If a log burner is like a wood stove then they are great even though they are a mess. The issue I have with them now, or at least the thought of having one, is the cost of wood, energy to stack it, carry it in, and ….snakes and bugs in the wood.
Gratitude: When was the last time you laughed out loud? I feel it is almost sadly pathetic that I have to rack my brain to try and remember a time! I do know that I was telling David a story about my daughter the other day and I was hysterical…then again, I can’t remember what it was about. Ugh….
Where were people before they were born? nowhere, they didn’t exist
Does the Law of Attraction exist? (Law of Attraction as I understand it) is a school of thought where positive thinking brings about good changes. Some say it’s made them wealthy. Others say it improves their health or their outlook on life) I think to an extent this is true. When you are overly negative you seem to see the negative things around you where as when you are positive you are able to see the beauty and good things in life. I don’t think if is a proven theory. I am the type of person who tries to stay positive and look at the good side of things but I have had some real crap to deal with over the last five years let’s say, and I don’t think it was to any fault of my own or brought on by my own negativity. Besides the human loss I have endured I have also lost my career. Did I want to stop teaching? No, but life threw me in different directions and now it isn’t a possibility unless other circumstances decide to change. I think I am a good person and I try to do the right thing and help others but do I have money that shows this? Absolutely not. I am not saying I don’t have what I need but if the Law of Attraction were definite I feel like I would have more abundance of things that I wish for than what I really have. One of my biggest desires in life is to travel. It isn’t to gain anything other than the experience of what other peoples’ lives hold.
Do we love ourselves more in the virtual world and less in the real world? If so, why? If nay, why? I do, I think. If I look at myself from an outsider’s point of view, let’s say the virtual world, I see myself differently than when I look in the mirror and my insecurities.
Are you happy? I try to be, really, really try hard. I. guess I am mostly. I am definitely thankful for all I have and I don’t ever want to take it for granted but am I happy? I guess it depends on how happy and sad you can be at the same time to still say you are one or the other.
Favourite horror or Halloween-themed song? Or a song you rarely hear except around a holiday. Definitely Thriller by Michael Jackson and I enjoy it so much more if I have the video to go with it! https://youtu.be/sOnqjkJTMaA
Do you ever see figures in your peripheral vision? No, only my guardian angel once in a while
Which urban legend scares you the most? (most countries have such stories – share yours if you would like to) I tend to not really believe in urban legends as “real” just because I’ve never been in a situation to “prove” one true.
You’re home alone but you hear footsteps in your house, what do you do? Stand frozen to my spot for a minute to think. Look for the most deadly object within reach. Wait to hear if they come closer. Venture out if there are no more noises.
What is your favourite season? It used to be fall/autumn until there was a certain spider in CT that was very active when the temperatures went down. Winter might be mine now that I live in FL. I don’t like snow, wet leaves have slugs, sticky summer days have horses flies and mosquitos. Spring could be up there on the top of the list I suppose!
1. Do you prefer to live in a single story property like a bungalow, a high rise apartment, or a house? The house we live in now is supposedly considered a bungalow. I am not really sure what the difference is. Until this question I never thought to look. I like living in a detached building. When I was living in a condo last year I was really miserable because there was no where to sit without people walking by all the time. Also, in the condo we were in you were not allowed to have chairs out on the main walkways so I always felt like that kept people, like my father, very isolated. He would have been happy if he could sit and chat to whoever came by.
2. If you won a large amount of money on the lottery, would you want publicity or keep things quiet and low key? Definitely on the down low. I don’t know if I would want to tell anyone but David and Lindsay. My dad wouldn’t understand and I guess a few friends would find out, I would probably be tempted to share the good news. But as they say, “if you don’t play, you don’t win” and I don’t play.
3. How do you like your eggs? (No, this is not a trick question) Over medium so that the yolk is runny but the whites are not. Like Fandango https://fivedotoh.com/2022/08/15/share-your-world-08-15-2022/ I like the egg in the bread, especially when the bread is nice and buttery. If I do an omelet my most recent “like” is sausage and swiss.
4. If cars were no longer available, what would be your choice of transport? Hard to say because of where I live. An ebike would probably end up being the winner because buses aren’t prevalent near me. To be totally honest I would love a helicopter.
Gratitude: Our aim is to make at least one person smile every day. Okay!
Melanie is the host of Share Your World; your chance to blab on and on about what you think…Lol!
What mythical creature would improve the world most if it existed? (If you don’t know, just choose something that you think would improve things ) A giant flying praying mantis type thing that would eat all the bad bugs and help clean the world.
Should the death penalty be re-instated? Why or why not? I think there are cases that it should. It costs tax payers so much money to provide for those inmates and if they are truly guilty then why should we have to pay to support them. My brother was in a high security prison years ago for armed robbery. He lived like a king…well one behind bars. He used to say that it wasn’t that bad. I know that is not the case everywhere and for everyone but think about it; three meals a day, a bed, heat, water….better than some people’s living situations. The problem is that there are those inmates that have been wrongly convicted. But there are some individuals like school shooters and those that are blatantly guilty.
Spontaneity Or Stability? Stability.
Can a dog/cat suffer? What about an ant? What about a plant? What about a bacteria cell? Why do some humans think we’re the only species that does suffer? Your thoughts? I think that everything can suffer but it depends on the capacity of its brain. You can see a dog and cat in pain. If an ant is in pain it doesn’t last long enough to show. Plants don’t have a brain like we do. I think anything that lives long enough to feel the pain, suffers.
What are two things that have brightened your day today? 1. Waking up knowing my daughter is in a loving, safe environment for the first time in two years. 2. Seeing my dog look up at me with so much love.
In one sentence, how would you sum up the internet? The internet is both a world of knowledge and a garbage dump of time wasted.
Is true beauty subjective or objective? (Anything objective sticks to the facts, but anything subjective has feelings) I had to look it up to make sure I was correct. I think true beauty is subjective. What I find beautiful might be meaningless to someone else and although we disagree, who is to say who is right and who is wrong. Facts are things that can be proven to be true, I think, and are true no matter who looks at it.
How many chickens would it take to kill an elephant? (like last week, I threw this one in for lightening things up a bit. There is no ‘right or wrong ‘ answer – just have fun with it). It would depend on the size of the elephant and if chickens is in a general sense, meaning is a rooster a chicken? If a rooster is considered a chicken then yes, definitely. I had three holes poked in my leg by a rooster. If he wanted to and I had no defenses he probably would have poked my eyes out. Then unfortunately, chickens will eat their dead “family members”. I think the elephant would have to be clueless though. It’s like letting a fly bite you. Fly:Person as Chicken:Elephant
If your five-year-old self suddenly found themselves inhabiting your current body, what would your five-year-old self do first? Eat candy
GRATITUDE SECTION (AS ALWAYS, OPTIONAL)
What’s an aspect of your personality that you’re grateful for? I’m grateful that I truly feel happy for other people and care about them. I think some people have to act like they care, but they really don’t (like my sister….).
How did you spend the money from your very first job? When I was younger our middle school, which was grades 6 to 8, was close enough to walk “downtown”. On the town green we had all the “regular” stuff like the library and churches, but there were also a row of shops on one side. There was a single shop that had candy you could buy and a lot of it was penny candy. That is where it all went……
Would You Rather Look Like A Potato, Or Feel Like A Potato? (Note. I have no idea why they used the word “potato”, but just went with it. Answer any way you like, this question is purely for fun) I think I would rather feel like a potato. They seem like they would be laid back, not motivated to do much, easy-going, that is if we are personifying them. If you mean just the outside, then I would say I would rather look like a potato….smooth, brown skin, very few blemishes after they are washed.
What were the best pair of shoes you have owned? I sort of have a shoe-fettish so this is hard because I have probably owned thousands of shoes in my lifetime. One pair that I wore until they squeaked and couldn’t be fixed (I didn’t even know cobblers existed) were my Mudd loafers. They were black and had a huge chunky heal. The heal was probably 1.5 inches, maybe 2, but they were just so comfortable and I thought they looked good with everything. I guess it would all depend on what part of my life we are talking about….I also loved my Docksiders, when they were made with a square toe. I can’t find those anymore. By best do you mean fitting or looking? Lol.
Besides war and diplomacy, what would be the best way for countries to settle disputes? Mutual Surrender
GRATITUDE SECTION (AS ALWAYS, OPTIONAL)
In these often depressing times, how do you find the bright spots? I try to look at how lucky I am with all the things I have. I also like to remember the people who I know love me and recall times that they expressed it.