What kind of music do you like? When I get asked this I will often say Disco or Country but then I think about how much I love Queen and Andy Grammer, I love listening to Jazz, instrumental, piano. I don’t know how to pinpoint what my favorite is.
What is your favourite food? Again, hard to pinpoint. I love cooked shrimp. I love the way it smells when it is grilled. I can live without chicken, beef, and pork even though I do enjoy some of the recipes I get. I could live on Shrimp, Air-fried Cauliflower, and Raspberries!
What is your favourite tipple? Margaritas on the rocks with salt is an always favorite. I love Jack Daniels and Coke. In a can or bottle I love Twisted Tea. For those who don’t drink, what do you order when out with friends?
What relaxes you (music, reading, walking, meditation, yoga etc) piano music and creating things in my workspace.
Gratitude: How often do you have some ‘Me Time’? I have a lot of time to myself but I am not completely alone very often. I see them differently because being alone is more relaxing to me than just doing something by myself.
Here are your questions for this week based on your shopping habits:
When food shopping, do you go with a list and stick to it, or buy on the hop? For the past few weeks I have been using Hello Fresh to get my food ingredients delivered so I haven’t had to do much food shopping. I like to make a list so I can get in and out and not spend time and money on things I don’t need. If I have a list I’m pretty good about sticking to it.
When clothes shopping, do you prefer to shop in a store or buy mail order? I like to shop in a store so I can try things on but I am an online shopper. Now, I have learned to only buy items that I can return for free or for a full refund if they don’t fit. I’ve never been one to wear something purposely once just to return it but I have had shoes that I have loved but after a few times wearing them realize they don’t fit well or hurt my feet.
Do you like shopping for shoes? I am not as bad as I used to be but I really had a problem with buying shoes when I was really stressed out. At my first teaching job, the other teachers and my assistant knew to check in with me if they saw shoe websites on my computer. I do love shoes and it doesn’t help that David loves shoes too. I gave away a lot of shoes when I moved from the Northeast US to Southern US because they were impractical but I do miss them!
Do you enjoy shopping alone or with friends/partner? I love shopping with people only if I am not really looking for something specific. If I go to shop for a specific item, a dress for an occasion for example, I am happier going by myself and searching the racks. That being said, I have brought David with me bfore and he does have a good sense of what is flattering on me and what is not.
Gratitude: I am so thankful for the people who care about me. I can sometimes dip into a depressive state thinking about loss and regret and it helps when people can pull me back to the present and help me realize all that I still have!
1. Do you consider yourself to be romantic? I think being romantic is subjective. I mean I do like cozy dinners and candles. But what is romantic really? If I had to give a definitive yes or no, I’d probably say no since I don’t feel I have the right personality.
2. Do you send cards on Valentine’s Day? Not anymore. My late husband always said that cards were a waste of money since they were costing upwards of $4 each and in my opinion, the quality was going down. Now I would rather send a card on a non-holiday since I think that is more special.
3. Would you spend a considerable amount of money on a single red rose for your beloved? I guess if they really loved them. I always said that it was a shame that the price nearly doubled or tripled just because of Valentine’s Day. That I felt was a waste of money. But, that being said, I am always happy to receive any sort of beautiful flower any old day.
4. What is your idea of a romantic evening? I guess maybe a quiet dinner at the table (versus in front of the tv) with a candle and some soft music playing in the background.
Gratitude: I am so grateful that there are people who truly love me, no matter what.
1. If you have been given a variety of gifts, do you have a clear out of older stuff to make room for it? Usually if I get new gifts they are to supplement things I already have and use. There are times in the past where I have had to move old things out to make room for the new just because I don’t have the room!
2. Do you overindulge with food for special occasions and then come to regret it with either weight gain, guilt or severe indigestion? This year has been the worst for overindulgence. I made many batches of Christmas cookies this year and of course cheesecake for dessert! I have to do a serious sugar-detox soon. I guess I sort of regret it but sort of think, “oh well, that’s life”
3. What is your favourite part for any celebration? Sitting with people and talking
4. Are you looking forward to getting bargains in the January Sales? Not this year. I have everything I could ask for and more and do NOT need anything else!
Gratitude: I’m grateful that even when I am feeling down I still realize how lucky I am to have all that is mine!
1. How organized are you in either your working or private life? I am typically super organized, at least in my own head. I usually know where I have put things and can recall that really well. I forget stuff but then can think and sort of visualize where I put it and I’m usually right. I do like all “like” things together so I like to reorganize when my life gets cluttered.
2. Do you remember family birthdays or anniversaries and send cards? I remember a few birthdays, unfortunately, I usually remember on the day and have not said anything to the person. I don’t send cards, except to maybe one or two people. I think the price of cards is ridiculous and people don’t like them like they used to it seems. Sometimes I find a funny one and send it out. Everyone likes getting mail but what do you do with the card after you are done celebrating? Seems harsh to just throw it away.
3. If you see something in a shop that is an extravagance but you can afford it, do you buy it? It depends on whether I think I can find it cheaper somewhere else. There have been times that I have been in a store and I am there googling Amazon and other sites trying to see if they sell it for less.
4. Are you looking forward to the New Year? I suppose. It’s just another day for me though. I don’t set resolutions because they peter out or don’t work at all. I do like to think about the first of the year as the day I will try to make certain changes.
Gratitude: What simple thing warms your heart? Lately, when I put Brody outside he goes running around and all that and then when he is ready to come in he looks in the screen door for me. He is much lower so all I see is his eyes and ears and he melts my heart with his little look. Funny, but him being slightly pigeoned-toed makes me feel warm and fuzzy.Finding gifts, especially from my kids when they were little, melts my heart too. To see the love that was put into it. Finally, just because I could go on and on, but certain memories of my late husband and son and a few specific instances in the past stand out to me. Not big events, just small gestures that I remember so well that were so thoughtful.
Welcome to Share your World which Di is going to continue to host in Melanie’s memory as Di knows how much pleasure she got from writing these posts. She was very popular and very sadly missed.
Here are my questions for this week:
1. As a child, did you prefer to watch TV, play games outside on a nice day, or read? We were always outside or playing somewhere. I don’t even really remember having a television until later, although I know we did have a black and white one. We used to ride bikes, make paths in the woods, and play on jungle gyms/tire swings…We also used to play “restaurant” and set up the basement like a restaurant. I remember one year we sat and colored hundreds of the white “s” shaped packing peanuts and made them into different foods. I remember one was shrimp! At one of our friends we used to play store and take out all the canned foods and boxed foods and make a store. Her parents probably loved trying to find stuff after we played that! 😅
2. What would you rather do now, read a book, watch a movie at home, dine out with friends, or go down the pub? If those were my only options I would probably read a book. Next I would watch some television show that is completely ridiculous like “90-Day Fiance”. I like going out but don’t like having to actually get in the car and go somewhere.
3. Are you fashion conscious? Nope. I know there are things I shouldn’t wear and for the most part know how to dress appropriately if it is necessary but I like my clothes and I feel like my own person when I wear what makes me happy!
4. Do you wear slippers, clogs or go barefoot indoors? I almost always have socks on. Sometimes bare feet depending on the time of day. Before and after bed I have bare feet.
I am so thankful for having a roof over my head and food in my belly,.
1. When you go food shopping, do you go with a list or amble down the aisles putting things in your basket or cart that you fancy or think you need? I am happier when I have a list and can get in and out. I also like when I wander and see something that perhaps I haven’t made in a long time and grab that. Usually, I buy more than we need and not what we should be buying. It is so hard because produce is so expensive and spoils so fast. But if I buy just enough for one meal I am shopping more frequently, subsequently buying way more than I would or should have. It’s sort of a lose-lose. I wish there were more fresh markets around!
2. When the temperatures drop for the colder months, is there a specific date you put the heating on or do you flick the switch when you start to feel cold? Now in the south I don’t have the same problem but when I was in Connecticut I tried my hardest not to turn on any heat until at least November 1st. That didn’t always work. If the temperature in the house goes below 67 F I think it is getting too chilly for indoors.
3. Keeping with the cold theme, do you prefer a hot water bottle or an electric blanket at night? I never understood about the hot water bottle and my mother always said that electric blankets were too dangerous.
4. How do you feel about log burners? Do you think they are messy or cosy? If a log burner is like a wood stove then they are great even though they are a mess. The issue I have with them now, or at least the thought of having one, is the cost of wood, energy to stack it, carry it in, and ….snakes and bugs in the wood.
Gratitude: When was the last time you laughed out loud? I feel it is almost sadly pathetic that I have to rack my brain to try and remember a time! I do know that I was telling David a story about my daughter the other day and I was hysterical…then again, I can’t remember what it was about. Ugh….
Where were people before they were born? nowhere, they didn’t exist
Does the Law of Attraction exist? (Law of Attraction as I understand it) is a school of thought where positive thinking brings about good changes. Some say it’s made them wealthy. Others say it improves their health or their outlook on life) I think to an extent this is true. When you are overly negative you seem to see the negative things around you where as when you are positive you are able to see the beauty and good things in life. I don’t think if is a proven theory. I am the type of person who tries to stay positive and look at the good side of things but I have had some real crap to deal with over the last five years let’s say, and I don’t think it was to any fault of my own or brought on by my own negativity. Besides the human loss I have endured I have also lost my career. Did I want to stop teaching? No, but life threw me in different directions and now it isn’t a possibility unless other circumstances decide to change. I think I am a good person and I try to do the right thing and help others but do I have money that shows this? Absolutely not. I am not saying I don’t have what I need but if the Law of Attraction were definite I feel like I would have more abundance of things that I wish for than what I really have. One of my biggest desires in life is to travel. It isn’t to gain anything other than the experience of what other peoples’ lives hold.
Do we love ourselves more in the virtual world and less in the real world? If so, why? If nay, why? I do, I think. If I look at myself from an outsider’s point of view, let’s say the virtual world, I see myself differently than when I look in the mirror and my insecurities.
Are you happy? I try to be, really, really try hard. I. guess I am mostly. I am definitely thankful for all I have and I don’t ever want to take it for granted but am I happy? I guess it depends on how happy and sad you can be at the same time to still say you are one or the other.
Favourite horror or Halloween-themed song? Or a song you rarely hear except around a holiday. Definitely Thriller by Michael Jackson and I enjoy it so much more if I have the video to go with it! https://youtu.be/sOnqjkJTMaA
Do you ever see figures in your peripheral vision? No, only my guardian angel once in a while
Which urban legend scares you the most? (most countries have such stories – share yours if you would like to) I tend to not really believe in urban legends as “real” just because I’ve never been in a situation to “prove” one true.
You’re home alone but you hear footsteps in your house, what do you do? Stand frozen to my spot for a minute to think. Look for the most deadly object within reach. Wait to hear if they come closer. Venture out if there are no more noises.
What is your favourite season? It used to be fall/autumn until there was a certain spider in CT that was very active when the temperatures went down. Winter might be mine now that I live in FL. I don’t like snow, wet leaves have slugs, sticky summer days have horses flies and mosquitos. Spring could be up there on the top of the list I suppose!
1. Do you prefer to live in a single story property like a bungalow, a high rise apartment, or a house? The house we live in now is supposedly considered a bungalow. I am not really sure what the difference is. Until this question I never thought to look. I like living in a detached building. When I was living in a condo last year I was really miserable because there was no where to sit without people walking by all the time. Also, in the condo we were in you were not allowed to have chairs out on the main walkways so I always felt like that kept people, like my father, very isolated. He would have been happy if he could sit and chat to whoever came by.
2. If you won a large amount of money on the lottery, would you want publicity or keep things quiet and low key? Definitely on the down low. I don’t know if I would want to tell anyone but David and Lindsay. My dad wouldn’t understand and I guess a few friends would find out, I would probably be tempted to share the good news. But as they say, “if you don’t play, you don’t win” and I don’t play.
3. How do you like your eggs? (No, this is not a trick question) Over medium so that the yolk is runny but the whites are not. Like Fandango https://fivedotoh.com/2022/08/15/share-your-world-08-15-2022/ I like the egg in the bread, especially when the bread is nice and buttery. If I do an omelet my most recent “like” is sausage and swiss.
4. If cars were no longer available, what would be your choice of transport? Hard to say because of where I live. An ebike would probably end up being the winner because buses aren’t prevalent near me. To be totally honest I would love a helicopter.
Gratitude: Our aim is to make at least one person smile every day. Okay!
You must be logged in to post a comment.